Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cream Pies
Makes: 8 sandwiches
- In a medium saucepan combine water, sugar and corn syrup. Stir gently to combine. Insert a candy thermometer and warm mixture until it reaches 240 degrees for 7-9 minutes. Do not stir or crystals will form.
- When the syrup has begun to form large bubbles place the egg whites and cream of tartar in the bowl of your stand mixer and beat to form soft peaks, about 3-4 minutes.
- Once the syrup has reached 240 degrees remove from heat and with the mixer running, carefully and slowly pour the syrup into the egg whites in a steady stream.
- Continue to whip the fluff for 7-8 minutes or until thick and glossy.
- Add the vanilla extract and salt and whip for another minute.
- Pour the fluff into an airtight container.
- Assembly: Take two oatmeal cookies at a time. Place one face side down and scoop fluff onto cookie, roughly ¼ cup. Place second cookie over top.
- Without pressing down too hard on the cookies, use a propane torch to carefully toast the fluff center.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Otis Spunkmeyer Oatmeal Rasin Cookies
- 1/3 cup of water
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup corn syrup
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract