Lemon Loaf Cake Ice Cream
Makes 1 1/2 quarts
- Place the half-and-half, the heavy cream, and the scraped vanilla bean into a medium saucepan, over medium heat. Bring the mixture just to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and remove from the heat.
- In a medium mixing bowl whisk the egg yolks until they lighten in color. Gradually add the sugar and whisk to combine.
- Temper the cream mixture into the eggs and sugar by gradually adding small amounts, until about a third of the cream mixture has been added.
- Pour in the remainder and return the entire mixture to the saucepan and place over low heat. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spoon and reaches 170 to 175 degrees F.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a clean bowl and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap after cooled and place into the refrigerator for 4 to 8 hours or overnight.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. This should take approximately 25 to 35 minutes.
- While ice cream churns, dice the Iced Lemon Loaf Cakes into small cubes and set aside. When ice cream is finished, transfer to a large bowl that has been kept in the refrigerator to cool. Quickly fold in cake and transfer ice cream to storage containers. Freeze until firm and ready to scoop!
- 3 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 vanilla bean split in half and scraped
- 6 Otis Spunkmeyer Iced Lemon Loaf Cakes